From the earliest eras of human existence, visual images have been used to represent knowledge, data, and information. Beginning with the Paleolithic cave paintings and continuing to today’s most complex computer networks, these images leverage the ability of the human brain to rapidly perceive patterns and trends from visual representations.
In today’s workplace, visual diagrams are an essential part of communication, from road maps to sales flows to process charts. Microsoft® Visio® provides you with an intuitive, customizable tool to easily create a professional-looking visual product by using its extensive gallery of shapes. By following the exercises in this course, you will create visually engaging diagrams, maps, and drawings, using graphical elements to make information easier to comprehend.
This course is designed for persons who are new to Visio and who will be using Visio to create basic workflows and perform end-to-end flowcharting.
To ensure your success, you will need to be familiar with using personal computers, including a mouse and keyboard. You should be comfortable in the Windows 8 environment and proficient in using Windows to access programs, navigate to information stored on the computer, and manage files and folders.
At Course Completion
In this course, you will design, modify, and manage basic diagrams. You will:
- Identify the basic elements of Visio and their use.
- Create a workflow diagram.
- Build organization charts.
- Design a floor plan.
- Build a cross-functional flowchart.
- Design a network diagram.
- Style a diagram.
- Lesson 1: Getting Started with Visio
- Topic A: Perform Basic Tasks in the Visio Environment
- Topic B: Use Backstage Commands
- Topic C: Save a File
- Lesson 2: Working with Workflow Diagram Tools
- Topic A: Use Drawing Components
- Topic B: Modify a Drawing
- Topic C: Insert Callouts and Groups
- Lesson 3: Building Organization Charts
- Topic A: Create an Organization Chart Manually
- Topic B: Create Organization Charts by Using Starter Diagrams and the Organization Chart Wizard
- Topic C: Modify an Organization Chart
- Lesson 4: Designing a Floor Plan
- Topic A: Make a Basic Floor Plan
- Topic B: Model a Room Layout
- Lesson 5: Building a Cross-Functional Flowchart
- Topic A: Create a Cross-Functional Flowchart
- Topic B: Format a Cross-Functional Flowchart
- Lesson 6: Designing a Network Diagram
- Topic A: Create Network Diagrams
- Topic B: Use Shape Data
- Topic C: Use Layers
- Lesson 7: Styling a Diagram
- Topic A: Modify Shape and Connector Styles
- Topic B: Apply Themes and Variants
- Topic C: Use Containers